Friday, February 27, 2009

Another Food Adventure and a Small Correction

A small correction: Ubaya has a sixth school, for Psychology. I left it out of my earlier description of the university. Oops!

Friday: Today’s food adventure was due mostly to my own squeamishness, but I got through it with grace -- I hope! I went to lunch with colleagues from Ubaya and, in their quest to acquaint me with Indonesian food, we went to a restaurant that specializes in Ayam Tulang Lunak. They were clearly excited about the chance to eat this meal and cheerfully told me that it is a special kind of fried chicken made from chickens with very soft bones. “So you can eat everything but the plate,” they gleefully announced. Gulp! I said, “Well, I’ve never eaten chicken bones before so let’s see how that goes.” We also ate fish, some sort of tuna I guess, where we ate the bones too. I did better with the fish than the chicken (only managed about 1/3 of my piece) and I think they were disappointed that I didn’t like it better. On the bright side, though, they seemed pleased that I don’t shy away from spicy food. I also enjoyed my Juice Kalapa Muda (juice from young coconuts). It was sweeter than I’d like because they add sugar to the salty coconut juice, but still tasty.

1 comment:

  1. Reading this post I realize how much of a northern European rutabaga root-eater I am, although my Russia chicken story gives your a run for the money! Bon appetit for a few more weeks! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete